Saturday, May 9, 2015

THREE - The ‘renao’ far from home in Taiwan



Special to Kemptville Advance
Diana Leeson
April 2003

Our staff writer Diana Leeson will be in Taiwan for the next year. Occasionally she will send stories of interest home for print here in your weekend paper.


                             
Over the last couple of days, we have been treated to an abnormally bright blue sky here in Taiwan. Usually the cloud cover – or smog – is thick. The occasional sunbeam in the classroom brings a gasp of delight from the students (and the foreign teachers).
Dustin, the self-proclaimed beach bum from B.C., said the blue sky brought him “back to his happy place”. The mountains could be seen on three sides of us, a bright emerald green dotted with wild pink and white impatiens. It was beautiful.
The blue sky is a welcome sight, instead of the typhoon that we were warned about a few times last week. The storm never actually reached Taiwan; it bypassed the island entirely.
Typhoon days are like snow days back home; no one goes to school and the teachers still get paid!
I had my first ride on a scooter this week. It was quite an experience
, ducking in and out of traffic, squeezing in between city buses and taxis, and running all the red lights. I screamed the whole time, partly from terror and partly out of delight. It was fun.
The threat of SARS seems to have waned a bit in Taiwan; it was never really that bad here and only about a dozen people became ill with the disease. We did have a few deaths among the frail and elderly but the general consensus is that it is now under control. Most passengers on the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) subway and bus systems are leaving their surgical face masks at home now, although the drivers still wear them. I promised Mom I would keep mine on, for now.
We have a new epidemic to worry about, however. The foot and mouth disease that hit England a few years ago also came to Taiwan. At the time of the English outbreak, many farm animals were put down and the carcasses were burned. In Taiwan, they buried the animals but didn’t burn them, apparently. As a result, experts say, the water has become contaminated and for the past few summer seasons the foot and mouth disease has returned. What a shame to imagine that in a country that experiences temperatures as high as 45 degrees Celsius with the humidity, all of the public pools will be closed to discourage spreading of the disease.
The advice to avoid contracting foot and mouth disease is to only drink bottled or filtered water, and to eat fruits and vegetables only after they have been washed in the same. Tap water is not safe. We can shower in it, but bathing in it is not advised. I will be brushing my teeth with filtered water also, just to be extra safe.
Of course, this new illness is nowhere near as serious as SARS. It is curable but it takes quite a toll on a person, and they have to miss quite a bit of work or school, which is a big no-no in this culture.
The ‘renao’ or practice of happy noise-making seems to have increased significantly as of late. I don’t know if they are celebrating something or trying to ward off evil spirits, such as the various diseases. Bright red banners proclaiming the dangers of SARS are hanging all over the city, so I know it is still on everyone’s mind. (Just let out a cough on a busy subway train and you will see how quickly you can clear a section).
The noise-making starts early in the day, both during the week and on the weekend. No sleeping in here. Yesterday I tried to use my normal route to the subway station, down a little alley no wider than a Volkswagon Beetle, when I noticed it was already taken up by a convoy of small blue alley trucks.
In each blue truck, a man played a big bongo drum, someone was clashing cymbals and someone else was waving around burning sticks of incense. There was much wailing and singing and happy renao going on. They were making their way down the hill from the temple near my house, so I suspect the parade had some religious connotation.
When I tried to squeeze myself past the trucks to get down the alley, someone set off a firecracker, right next to my head. In Taiwan, firecrackers are used to scare the evil spirits out of buildings when a new business opens. They are also used on tomb-sweeping day, to keep the stirred-up ghosts away from residences. During Chinese New Year celebrations, they are set off day and night, to get rid of the old year and usher in the new. I think in this case they saw a foreigner and decided they had better set one off, just in case I had any evil spirits with me. It certainly scared the living daylights out of me, if nothing else. I arrived at work a little shaken, and reeking of sandalwood.
Easter was a very low-key celebration for us poor foreigners here in Taiwan, as we had no extra days off. We taught the basic concepts of rebirth and Spring, with baby animals and of course the Easter egg as the primary symbols of the occasion. The religious celebrations pretty much stayed inside the churches. There are some Christian congregations here, but they account for less than 5% of the population of 23 million.
The English teachers at my school worked together and came up with several class activities however, such as an Easter egg factory where the kids could dye their own eggs, and a huge Easter Egg Hunt. Chocolate is pretty hard to come by here, but we managed to find some Kinder Surprise Eggs from Germany that served us quite well.
Mother’s Day is a huge holiday in Taiwan, and we are currently teaching our students songs, choreographing dances and scripting skits for an upcoming presentation that we will be putting on for the parents, on May 10.
Of course, it all just makes us think of our own Moms, and how much we miss them.
We hope that all is well back home, and that everyone had a good Easter.
-30-
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was 4 o’clock in the morning Ontario time but I needed to speak to someone who knew me. So I called Stephen. He answered the phone after a couple of rings with “What do you want, Leeson?” In just seconds he had me smiling; fifteen minutes later my sides ached from laughter. He always knew just what to say. And I could feel the love right through the sandbox to the other side of the world.

Phone calls to Canada on my beloved purple Nokia cell cost just three cents a minute - thank God, because I called often. When mom heard about my new single status, she hoped I would cancel my plans and return home to Canada, but I had just begun to realize the incredible freedom and opportunity of living alone in an environment where no one knows you. The situation offers a fresh start—and that was exactly what I was looking for. 
Part of the appeal was that I got married at 19 and spent my 20s raising children and looking after other people's children in the suburbs. Now, at the age of 35 in a strange place surrounded by people I didn't know, I was finally getting the opportunity to live alone. To take each day as it comes, without a schedule or plan.
When I spoke to the girls and told them that TN and I were no longer together, they didn't beg me to return. They explained with excitement their plans for summer holidays with their Dad and his girlfriend and her two kids, in rambling, long-winded, side-tracked stories that went on for days. They laughed, got on the other extension and teased and interrupted each other, and once my youngest even walked away from the phone to get something and forgot me there. Left me hanging until I finally gave up. I wasn't hurt. I took it as a good sign. Even when they started calling the new one Mom. I had been there for them, a stay-at-home mom since they were born. It was an adjustment, this new life, but I knew they were happy and loved. And our relationship was solid. Or at least that is what I told myself, that first year of three.

I answered an online ad at www.tealit.com and immediately moved into the top floor bedroom of a three-storey townhome at the foot of a mountain on the east side of the city. It was literally at the end of the line. The subway line. The little community on the riverbank was separated from the rest of Taipei by a huge footbridge that had a steady flow of pedestrian and bicycle traffic. My two new roommates, Ron and Ben, gave me both the physical and figurative ‘space’ I needed, while also making me feel less alone in the world. Ron was from Birmingham, England. I don't know if it was the accent or the funny sayings that were so foreign to me but each time he opened his mouth he made me laugh. I can't remember where Ben was from. One of the bible belts in the States. He was the sensible, steady, reliable one. Ron was the entertainment factor. 
In my garden home apartment, there was a large gap under the front and back doors. This, I was told, was so that flood waters coming down the mountain could just wash through the home instead of smashing it down. That is why all the floors and walls were tiled. The problem with this scenario is it also allows every manner of creepy crawly to roam freely into the house.

“I don’t like spiders and snakes, and that ain’t what it takes to love me, you fool…” (Jim Stafford)

I was on the phone to Canada with my mother one evening as I was applying makeup for a night out. I had treated myself to a luxurious soak in the deep Japanese tub in the main bath, instead of my usual shower. As I leaned in toward the mirror, I noticed a small furry leg hanging onto the edge of it - and then two googly eyes peered out at me. As always when I’m startled, I caught my breath and said nothing. Just froze and watched. My mom kept talking as a huge, hairy mama spider - the size of my hand - poked her head out from behind the mirror to peer at me.
Just then Ron walked in and began,
“Have you seen my…AH! What in the bloody hell is that?! Spider!!!” A blood-curdling scream ensued, interrupting my phone call with my mother. I still don’t know what he was looking for. He ran like a little girl downstairs and out onto the porch, stamping his feet and brushing at his hair.
“I thought you said you had male roommates, Dee?” my mother asked.
I asked around and discovered these large hairy Taiwanese spiders are quite harmless. I still danced her out the door on the end of my broom.

----------------------



No comments:

Post a Comment