Sunday, May 17, 2015

ELEVEN - Mother of the Far Away Other

                                                 

Joel made the move to Taiwan when life as an artist on the beach in Thailand ceased to feed him. He had been away from England so long that it was no longer home to him. I was invited by a friend to Joel’s vernissage one night. It began at 11pm and was expected to wind up around 7, when everyone would go to breakfast. I was intrigued, but first I needed a nap.
Breaking up with The Norseman had been harder on my physical self than my brain was willing to admit. I had lost a lot of weight, and needed new clothes that fit. What to wear to an artist’s vernissage? Finally I settled on a silk halter top that my Chinese teacher had given me as a birthday gift. I paired it with second-skin, pocketless jeans and slave sandals, rolled my newly-straightened and blackened hair up in a bun and secured it with the chopsticks clip. From the back, I could pass as Asian. I was kind of mesmerized by the image in the mirror.
When we arrived at the café there was already a big lineup at the door. Most of the people were Western, and I took my place in line and listened to the variety of accents. South African was easy to distinguish with its Dutch influence. Australian, Kiwi…was that Bostonian? And Scottish. Then we were being ushered inside, to a completely white room with white sofas, black tables, black bar with matching stools, and mirrors everywhere. Gauguin-esque paintings of naked women embellished with tropical foliage were the only colour in the room. I was standing there marvelling at the effect when I felt a warm hand on the bare part of my back. A voice in my ear. “If I am the Sun, you must be the Moon.” Well that’s a new one.
Joel smiled and introduced himself. He kissed me on both cheeks and said, “Murray told me he was bringing his Canadian friend, Diana. Goddess of the Moon. Happy to meet you.” I wanted to shave the tiny little tuft of hair sprouting from his chin but other than that I loved his face, instantly. And I loved that he wore one green sneaker and one red. “I have another pair just like them at home,” he smiled as he walked away to put his hand on another bare back.

A few weeks later I had the great honour of sitting for a portrait by Joel. I was one of the only models he had ever painted with clothes on. It took all day, but gave me time to think as his brush traced the negligible curves of my body in my bikini top and sarong. We ate mangos and sat under the banana trees on his rooftop porch as the sun went down, after hours of work. He called the painting “Mother of the Far Away Other.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment